Vizio TVs have become popular for many households due to their quality and affordability. But, after a busy day at work, you arrive home to find your Vizio TV isn’t working. This can be very frustrating as you won’t be able to watch your favorite shows. But what should you do next? Consider taking it to a technician, but what if it is late at night or the technician won’t come over on the weekends?
You can reset your Vizio TV yourself. This procedure is simple and can be done in a few easy steps. I will help you with simple instructions on how to reset Vizio TV.
What are the Common Vizio Tv Problems
Before we get into the elephant in the room, let’s first try to identify what could be the main cause of your TV not working. Here are some common Vizio TV problems you should look out for:
- TV not powering up correctly – Trying to use your remote power on the button or tv power button, but nothing works
- TV not displaying a picture – The TV may be powered up, but there is no picture displayed on the screen
- TV not responding to the remote – You press various buttons on the remote, but nothing is happening on the TV
- Frozen screens or visual artifacts when playing video files – Watching movies or streaming content but suddenly a frozen screen appears
- Vizio Tv turning itself off – Your TV randomly turns itself off or changes channels. This could be due to a faulty power supply or other hardware issue.
- Smart features not working – Casting, downloading apps, or connecting to the wifi.
- Audio problems with static noise, crackling sounds, or no sound. This can be very disruptive when trying to watch a movie or show.
If you get one or more of the above problems, reset your Vizio TV. Resetting means your TV will return to factory default settings as if you had just bought it.
How To Reset Vizio TV?
Now that you know what to look out for, let’s go into how to reset your Vizio TV. The methods I’ll provide are simple and should get your TV to work again without any trouble.
1. Soft Reset
Soft resetting your Vizio TV can usually solve most of the issues you may be experiencing. It helps to clear out temporary settings and data to get your TV back up and running.
It dissipates all the charges from the memory and refreshes the settings. This process easily solves a large percentage of TV problems. To soft reset your Vizio TV, follow this process:
1. Turn off the TV.
2. Unplug the power cord from the electrical socket for at least 10 minutes.
3. Reconnect the power cord and turn the TV on.
4. Reconfigure any settings that you adjusted before resetting the TV.
If soft resetting your Vizio TV didn’t work, you can try hard resetting.
2. Hard Reset
Try a hard reset only when the soft reset fails or you need to erase all settings. What it does is clear the memory and restore the original factory settings.
It clears all the configuration and malware, clears the memory, and entirely resets your Tv’s settings. It returns your TV to its original state when you first bought it.
There are three methods for hard resetting a Vizio TV:
1. Using the Remote
Anyone knows how to use the tv remote. To perform a hard reset on your tv, let’s follow these steps;
i. Unplug your router from the wall socket
ii. On your remote, click the Menu button.
iii. Scroll down to System and press OK
iv. Select Reset & Admin and then scroll to the right using the arrow button
v. Select the “Reset Tv to Factory Defaults” option
vi. Enter the code it asks for and press OK. The default parental lock code is “0000“
vii. Select the “Reset” and click “OK“
viii. You will have to wait until your TV is completely reset
ix. All the configurations will be restored to default, and all the cache will be cleared. A set-up wizard will appear after the process.
x. Plug the router back in and follow the instructions on your TV to finish the setup.
What You Will Need to Configure After the Reset
After the reset, you will need to update your wireless network settings, configure TV apps and other services, and adjust the display sound and picture settings.
2. Using Buttons On The TV
Your TV comes with control buttons when you buy it, which can be used to perform a hard reset. They are mostly used when you misplace your remote control or the battery runs out.
i. Unplug the power cable of your TV
ii. Press and hold the “Menu” button on your TV
iii. While still holding the Menu button, plug the power cable back in
iv. Continue holding the Menu button for at least 15 seconds. The LED will start blinking and eventually turn off, indicating that your TV is resetting
v. When finished, the LED will start blinking again and turn on, indicating that your TV is done resetting.
3. Reset Button on Your TV
Now let’s go to the natural way: you have lost your remote or have a non-functional remote.
Or the TV’s buttons are not responding. Luckily, most Vizio TVs have a reset button that you can use manually.
i. Locate the reset button at the back panel of your tv
ii. Use the paperclip & press, and hold the reset button for 10 seconds
iii. Release it as soon as your tv turns off
iv. Unplug all the cables connected to your tv and wait for 20 seconds
v. After the waiting period, plug back all the cables and turn on the TV
vi. Your TV should now be reset and ready to use!
Congratulations, you have successfully performed a manual reset on your Vizio TV. The settings should have reverted to factory defaults, and you can now continue using your Vizio TV as normal.
What is the Hard Way of Hard Resetting Your TV
There is also another method to reset your Vizio TV, but it requires a little more work and knowledge. Carefully follow the below procedures to reset your TV hard:
1. Turn off the power of the Vizio TV by either unplugging it from the wall or using the power button on the TV. (If you use the unplugging method, plug it back in after it goes off)
2. Press and hold the “CH+” and “CH- ” buttons on the side of your remote control together.
3. Press and release the power button on the TV while pressing the two buttons.
4. Release the CH+ and CH- buttons and press the “Menu.” Your screen will present a menu. At the bottom of your screen, you will see “F” which indicates a factory reset.
5. Hold the “Menu” button for 5 seconds. Your TV will pop up on the Service Menu.
6. Use the arrow buttons on your remote control to navigate to the SYSTEM RESET option.
7. Press the “Vol-” to select YES, then press the “Enter” button.
8. Your TV will restart and start the reset process. This can take up to 10 minutes. When it is done, your TV should be restored to its factory settings.
You can now start setting up your Vizio TV. If you need help, please get in touch with online support or your nearest Vizio dealer.
When You Need to Reset Your Vizio TV Hard
More issues can lead you to reset your TV hard. Apart from the general resetting of your TV, you may need to reset it hard if:
1. You are having difficulty connecting to your network
2. Apps are crashing or not working properly
3. The display settings are incorrect
4. The TV is unable to connect to other devices
5. There is a power issue with your TV
6. You have forgotten the PIN code of your TV
7. You are having difficulty with the audio settings
8. You need to reinstall the operating system of your TV
If any of the above issues arise, you may need to reset your Vizio TV hard. Be sure to back up any important files before doing a hard reset, and make sure that you follow the hard reset instructions carefully. Now you are ready to use your TV!
READ MORE: Vizio TV Keeps Turning Off: Simple Solutions
Your Vizio TV should now be reset and ready for use. The process is quite straightforward whether you choose to hard or soft reset your TV. With the above instructions, resetting your Vizio TV should be a breeze. If you are still experiencing issues with your Vizio TV, contact technical support or visit a Vizio dealer.