As you use Windows, you may encounter error code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000. This occurs when you are trying to activate or update Windows.
It is generally caused by a corrupt or incomplete installation of the Microsoft Store or issues with your system not starting correctly. But how can you fix this error? Here are the major solutions to save your day.
What are the Common Reasons that Contribute to Error code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000
Let me start by explaining the common reasons contributing to this error code here:
1. Absence Of Essential Services
Some essential services may be absent as the windows fail to start completely. If this is the case, you cannot access certain parts of your system and resolve the error.
2. Incompatible System Requirements
Conflicts between system components, such as outdated drivers, can lead to this error code. Sometimes, you may need to update or reinstall specific components to resolve the issue.
3. Corrupted Windows Store Files
Corrupted or incomplete installation of the Microsoft Store may also cause this error. If the files related to the Microsoft Store are corrupted, you may need to reinstall or repair them to resolve the error.
4. Corrupted System Files
If certain system files are corrupted, you may need to repair them to resolve the 0x80072f8f – 0x20000 error. As these files are essential for the proper functioning of your system, fixing them may resolve the issue,
5. Administrator Privileges
You can only have access to installing, updating, and activating the windows if you have administrator privileges. Therefore, make sure to check if you have the appropriate access.
6. Unstable Internet Connection
How is your internet connection? Unstable internet can also be the cause of this error code. Make sure to check your internet connection and ensure that it is reliable. You can wait for the internet connection to be stable and then try to activate or update the windows again.
7. Firewall Or Antivirus Software
Firewalls and antivirus software might interfere when installing, updating, or activating Windows. Thus, ensure to disable them temporarily before you perform the process.
8. TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2
If your TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 are turned off, you may need to turn them on to resolve the issue. According to the latest research, disabled TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 may hinder you from upgrading your windows and thus cause the error code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000.
9. Overloaded System
In some cases, overloaded system files can also cause the error. You may need to free up your system’s memory to resolve this issue.
These are some of the most common reasons for the occurrence of error code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000. Now that you know the causes, let’s move on to the solutions.
How to Fix Error code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000
Now take your laptop or desktop and try the following methods to fix this error:
1. Check Minimum Requirements
Having the minimum system requirements is essential to run Windows properly. Some OS and programs only run if the computer meets the minimum requirements.
Therefore, check that your PC meets the minimum system requirements to run the window properly. You can search on Google for the latest system requirements.
2. Internet Connection
Unstable or slow internet connection can be a possible reason for this error. Therefore, check your internet connection and ensure it is stable and working properly.
If the internet is slow, try to troubleshoot it. Most people say they face error code 0x80072f8f when their internet speed is below 2mbs. Try to stabilize your internet connection and get a speed above 2mbs.
3. Run as Administrator
Administrator privileges allow you to perform tasks that require special permissions. Many applications require this permission to run properly. If your account does not have administrator privileges, run your application as an administrator.
Here are the steps to run as an administrator:
1. Right-click on the application you are trying to launch.
2. Select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
3. If prompted, enter your administrator username and password.
4. Try to relaunch the application and check if it works. If you cannot launch the application, proceed to the next step.
4. Edit Registry File
After researching forums like Stackoverflow, I discovered that editing or changing the registry file could help fix error code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000.
A registry file is a database in your computer that stores information related to installed programs, user preferences, hardware configuration, and more. Editing a registry file is a complex task and must be done very carefully.
First, you need to create a backup of your current registry file. To do this, press Windows+R to open the Run window and type “regedit” in the box. This will open the Registry Editor window, where you can create the backup. Click File > Export and select the location to save it.
Now let’s move to the editing part:
1. Again, type “regedit” in the Run window to open the Registry Editor. You run Windows by clicking the Windows+R key on your keyboard.
2. Hit Enter, and navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/WindowsUpdate/ Auto Update.
3. Hover over New after right-clicking on the white or empty space
4. Click on DWORD (32-bit) to rename it
5. Enter the name as “AllowOSUpgrade” and hit enter.
6. Double-click on AllowOSUpgrade, and change the value data to “1.”
7. Click OK and restart your computer. This should fix the Error code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000.
Let’s move to the next solution if you still face the same issue.
5. Perform Clean Boot
Software and driver conflict can also lead to error code 0x80072f8f 0x20000. This conflict can be resolved by performing Clean Boot. Clean Boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.
1. Press the Windows+R keys from your keyboard to open the window
2. Type msconfig in the box and hit Enter
3. Uncheck the “Load startup items” from the “Selective startup.”
4. Then head to the “Services” tab and click on “Hide all Microsoft services,” and hit Disable All
5. Restart your computer after all the changes and check whether the error code 0x80072f8f 0x20000 is fixed.
6. Software Distribution Folder
Temporary files in your computer are stored in the Software Distribution folder. If corrupted or damaged, these files can cause Error code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000. To fix this, try deleting the content of the Software Distribution folder:
1. Press Windows+R to open the Run window. Type in the following path and hit enter.
2. Select all and delete the content of this folder
3. From your Start Menu, search “Cmd.” Right-click and select “Run As Administrator.“
4. On your Cmd window, type in the following command and hit enter.
5. Wait for the process to complete and restart your computer.
This command is run for Windows Update to start downloading the new updates. This should help in fixing Error code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000.
7. Enabling TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2
These security protocols set up secure communication between Windows and the server. They encrypt the data while transmitting.
When the TLS protocol settings are wrong or not enabled on a Windows computer, the Error 0x80072F8F – 0x20000 appears. To enable them, let’s follow these steps.”
1. First, you need to create a restore point in case something wrong happens. You can create a registry with the abovementioned steps on item number 4.
2. Go to the Control Panel and open Internet options.
3. Select the “Advanced” tab and scroll down until you find the security section.
4. Check if TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 are enabled. If not, then enable them by selecting the checkboxes.
5. Lastly, click on Apply and then ok to save the changes.
Now try updating Windows and see if the problem persists. If it doesn’t, you have fixed the error 0x80072F8F – 0x20000.
8. Restart Windows Services
This is another solution that may help you fix Error 0x80072F8F – 0x20000. You will need to restart the relevant services to update Windows. The conflict services and 0x80072F8F can cause a stop in the window update service – 0x20000 will appear.
To do this, follow these steps:
1. First, open the Run dialogue box by pressing the Windows + R keys on the keyboard.
2. Type “services.msc” and click Enter to open the Services window.
3. In the Services window, scroll down and locate the services marked as “Windows Update”
4. Right-click on the service and select “Automatic” from the Manual
5. Click Start in case the service is stopped
6. Click Apply and then OK to save the changes
7. Repeat the above steps for the following services under the same tab:
– Background Intelligent Transfer Service
-Cryptographic Services-Windows Installer
-Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
– TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
– IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules
9. Reset Components Services
Components services are responsible for updating your OS. If Windows Update is malfunctioning, resetting these services could help. The components can be accessed through the Command Prompt. To do this:
1. Type “CMD” on your Start Menu
2. Run the CMD as an Administrator
3. Type these commands following each other and hit enter
i. net stop bits
ii. net stop wuauserv
iii. net stop appidsvc
iv. net stop cryptsvc
10. Run Disk Cleanup
Disk cleanup is a component that prevents redundant files from being stored in a particular computer. It helps clear out temporary files and other system-generated log files, which can also cause this error. Also, the deleted files in your recycle bin will be removed. To run a disk cleanup:
1. Click Windows+E to open File Explorer.
2. Right-click on C drive and select Properties.
3. Under the General tab, click on Disk Cleanup
4. Select all the files by clicking on all the checkboxes and click OK.
5. Confirm your action and wait for the process to complete.
6. Reboot your computer and check if the error is resolved.
11. Download the Windows ISO File
ISO file is an exact DVD or CD copy that can be used to install Windows. When you run the ISO file, you can repair, upgrade, or install a fresh copy of Windows. To download the ISO file for Windows 10 version 2004:
1. Download your OS on the Windows Media Creation Tool website.
2. “Mount” the ISO file and run the setup program. You do this by right-clicking on the file from your Download destination.
3. For the best results, download the 64-bit version of Windows.
4. Run the file as administrator, and your window will start to upgrade to the latest version
12. Use an External Device to Install the Windows
If you have a USB or external drive, you can use it to install Windows. Just create the bootable device using the media creation tool. After that, boot your computer from the USB drive, and you can install Windows easily. Be sure to download the most recent Windows and media creation tool version. But what are the steps to follow:
i. Download the latest Windows version and media creation tool.
ii. Run the mctool and select your USB drive as a target device.
iii. Select the ‘Create installation media’ option.
iv. Choose the language and edition you want to install.
v. Select a USB flash drive as a target device and click ‘Next.’
vi. Follow all the instructions to finish the installation process.
You don’t need to be a computer expert to fix Error code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000. You can fix this error and rerun your computer by following the above steps. If the methods above don’t work, consider contacting a professional technician to examine the issue closely.